Saturday, November 26, 2011

Shop Local Saturday


Today was Shop Local Saturday, a day dedicated to supporting our local small businesses. And by local small business, that does not include the big box store that was selling the flat screen TVs at midnight on Black Friday! Nope! I'm talking about the brick and mortar stores that our country was built upon.



I had a shopping partner who was happy to accompany me to the shops downtown for a little fun. With a grande peppermint mocha in one hand and a camera in the other, we set off for a shop hop in downtown Noblesville.



We always have fun at Logan's Antique Mall! This is where I pick up my car air fresheners from A Cheerful Giver candle company. Today's fragrance: Cozy Cabin!



Sometimes. window shopping is just as much fun as shopping in the stores. The Linden Tree had some lovely displays, and they sell a great assortment of candles from Trapp (Winter Air is the perfect mix of pine and snow!).


Sam loves to shop at The Wild, a small independently owned children's book store ( think Meg Ryan's Shop Around the Corner in You've Got Mail!). I picked up a great gift for my god daughter's birthday next month. We liked the sign posted at the register...a good reminder!


I am a terrible holiday shopper because I always find too many things for myself! Today was no exception! I had to have this cute hand-crafted hair band. Fun and funky!


Rosie's Place is one of our favorite restaurants. The owners are recent transplants from St. Louis, just like us. They've been in operation for over a year now, and business is booming every time I visit! Open for breakfast and lunch, with a bakery to tempt you as you leave. This wreath out front was so simple and stunning. Love those green apples!

Did you know that for every $100 spent in independently owned stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures. But if you spend that same $100 at a national chain, only $43 stays in the community. I love my local Target and Macy's and Barnes and Noble, but I also love my corner cafes and quaint shops and antique malls. I'm not a Black Friday mall shopper, but I do confess to doing a little online shopping this weekend. I guess that when it comes to spending, I like to share the love.

Love your local shops, friends! And when you stop in, tell them I sent you. :)

For more information on shopping local, visit the 350 project!

1 comment:

  1. I am so coveting that headband! It looks fabulous on you! Love- Tina

    ReplyDelete