Friday, June 29, 2012

The Lost Arts: Needle and Thread

Today's Lost Art is more of a "Lost and Found" art for me. I have been playing with needle and thread since I was a young girl. My mother taught me everything I know. She taught me how to floss a needle, how to start a row of stitches, how to detangle floss. I'm so thankful that there was more to my girlhood than princesses and Barbie dolls.

I forgot about needle art in my teens and early twenties, but picked it up again as a young mom. I stitched Christmas stockings, samplers, and gifts like tea towels. And then, I put needle art down again for a ten year stretch.


I picked it up again about four years ago, and discovered a whole new world in needle art. Overdyed flosses, gorgeous linens, embellishments like beads and buttons and charms. Needle art had come a long way from my days with Aida cloth and DMC floss!


I love needle art because it is so portable. I'm not a fan of packing up my stamp room and taking it on the road. I've done it a few times, and it always seems like more work than it's worth. But needle art? Throw in your scissors, your flosses, your linen, your pattern, your needle, and you're good to go!
I can stitch at my front porch, stitch at the park, stitch at the pool. It keeps my hands busy while allowing my brain to meditate and pray.


Needle art feeds my creative side just like paper crafting. I get to play with colors and textures and good design. What's not to love?

We went to see the movie Brave yesterday. I won't spoil the movie by telling you that needle art saves the day! (Okay, maybe I'm the only one that found this to be a key theme of the movie! LOL!)

One day, I'm going to dabble at designing my own patterns. I've tried it once, and it takes a bit of work. I've got a few designs floating around in my head that have been sketched out but not stitched.

In the meantime, I love stitching the adorable creations I find in patterns. I'm so glad that this lost art was found again!

BLOG HOP TOMORROW!

Stop back to the cafe tomorrow for a Crafters of Faith Blog Hop! I promise, there will be plenty of sunshine to inspire you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes Needle and Thread how I loved you , I tried to do some things for my daughter and her baby and the big Machine won , she couldn't understand Why I would want to do it by hand, Why? just like you said Maryrose a time to let your brain enjoy and the fact that you can take it anywhere . Thanks for keeping the Needle and Thread alive for all of us.
    Hugs.
    Liz D

    ReplyDelete