Monday, August 13, 2012

Dreaming with Subtitles


The weirdest thing has been happening to me. For the last month, I've had dreams where I am speaking foreign languages. French, German, Spanish. In some dreams, I can converse freely, without even having to think about how to conjugate a verb. In other dreams, my conversational skills are limited, and I'm struggling to get my message across.

Last night, I was struggling to help three Spanish speaking rail workers. "Donde esta l'estacion?" I notice that when I get frustrated in my dream, I'll slip back to French, the only language that I'm really proficient speaking.  My German? Negligible. My Spanish? Only slightly better. And yet, in dreams, I'm conversing with the world.

What does it all mean?

I made a French thank you card this morning, because it's always handy to have a little "merci" on hand.

{Today's Brew: card stock and stamp from PTI, papers and chipboard from Crate Paper Story Teller collection, lace edge punch, grosgrain ribbon}


I pulled out a few French text books and study aids this morning. The foreign language side of my brain was once used on a daily basis, and now it sits in the far recesses of my mind, dusty and covered with spider webs, but still there. If I could, I would learn as many languages as my brain could hold.

Any foreign language speakers out there? What one language have you always wanted to learn?

2 comments:

  1. This is so dainty and pretty. Love it! I only know a little French since it's a mandatory subject in school but I'm certainly not proficient, lol. I wish I could speak more than one language. The only other language course I took in school was Latin and that's not going to get me anywhere, although it was a pretty easy course to take, lol. Merci de partager votre création avec nous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the papers you used such as sharon said very dainty , I love hearing others speak in other language I took spanish but it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete