Saturday, August 3, 2013

Beatrix Potter, Part Two

Beatrix Potter was a fascinating person. She was a remarkable artist and naturalist from a young age. She became a scientific illustrator and was an amateur mycologist (the study of fungi) at a period in Victorian England that excluded women from the sciences. It was her best-selling "little books" that offered her financial independence. Potter used her wealth to purchase large tracts of land in the Lake District of England, conserving the land from rampant development. She bequeathed the lands to the National Trust, thus preserving the landscape that inspired her art for generations to come.

Never underestimate the power of one woman with a passion.


Last month, we took a family hike in Moraine State Park, just a short drive north from where we live. It was amazing!

Everywhere we hiked, we found the most amazing specimen of fungi!



This little rosy mushroom stole my heart. I told my family I wanted to shrink small enough to make it my home.

I decided to use this mushroom as my inspiration yesterday!



 Just having fun and getting a little creative. It's always good to stretch your creative muscles, don't you think?

This morning, with mushrooms still on my mind, I made this funny punny card!


Seriously, if this little gnome from Lawn Fawn stamps doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will. I paired the images with my stash of Cosmo Cricket Nutmeg papers, added a few punched leaves and a little twine ribbon.


I think Beatrix would approve.

1 comment:

  1. EEK! Are those Autumn colors? I forbid it...for it is STILL Summer ;)

    ReplyDelete