Tuesday, August 27, 2013

SU Sizzix Circle Card Thinlits


Time for a little tutorial!

Today, I'm using the Stampin' Up Sizzix circle card die to create an awesome Christmas card!


The Circle card die set comes with a large die to cut out the card base, and lots of fun smaller dies that you can use to embellish. For today's card, I'm just using the base. I ran it through my Big Shot with a lovely piece of PTI card stock cut to size, and when it comes out, voila! You have a card base where the circle "flips" and the score lines are ready for folding!

Tip number one: keep your bone folder handy, and use it to press those scored lines into place.


Here's the finished card. As you can see, I stamped the panel on the left, and used some decorative paper on the right.


Tip number 2: Keep some scrap papers handy. I used a few pieces of paper to mask the areas that I didn't want to get the "snowflake" stamping treatment.


Now, in order to get the circle in the center to do the flip, I had to cut out a bit from the Christmas paper panel on the right.

Tip number 3: Place your cut paper panel where you'd like it to go, then flip it over to the backside, as I've done here. Use a light colored marker to trace the area that will need cutting away.



Then simply cut that portion, and your patterned paper panel is ready to be adhered to the right side of the card front!


The thing about these flip cards is that the only place you have to sign your name is either a.) on the back of the card, or b.) on the back of the flipped circle. You'll want to keep the sentiment on the smallish side of the back flip so that you have a little room for your John Hancock.


And that's it! A stunning Christmas card that will have the recipient asking themselves "How did they do that?" My little guy, Sam, loves origami. He said this card was "awesome sauce". I think that's a compliment. :)

{Today's Brew: SU Sizzix Circle Card Thinlits die, PTI card stock, PTI stamps, Simple Stories Handmade Holiday paper, versafine onyx ink, versamark ink, versamagic white ink, cranberry crisp SU ink and card stock circle, amuse star twinkle}

2 comments:

  1. Saw you comment on the SCS thread so I thought I'd come over and take a look...I love it! I bought the circle die to make Christmas cards, too and this totally has me excited that they might come out cute! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Rose, this card is gorgeous and your tutorial is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete