Monday, October 28, 2013

31 Days: The Unmodeled Kitchen Part Two

If you happen to be looking for an older home with character (like we were), then you better be prepared for finding the quirky character in unexpected places.  Our kitchen is a big room full of quirky curiosities.

Hidden cutting boards...


Hidden pastry boards...


And more hidden cutting boards...

Need a rolling pin to go with all of those cutting boards? There's a vintage one, but it's screwed into the beams at the ceiling...

I do love my lazy Susan...

It's near the stove, where there is the best drawer for utensils...

...and pull out drawers for the pots and pans.

Did I mention that I have a Modern Maid?

Sadly, she doesn't do any of the cooking or cleaning! I do love cooking with gas, though, and I am making the best eggs of my adult life thanks to this old gas range!

Near the stove, there is a built-in trivet.


Yes, I like chickens. You got a problem with that? Take it up with the rooster!

My "modern" stove would not be complete without my "modern" double wall ovens...

They have a great feature...a hood vent!

My husband is waiting for the day when he comes home from work to find me in a skirt, blouse, heels, and apron, cooking him veal and checking the internal cooking temperature with this handy feature...


Sorry, honey! Don't hold your breath waiting for that one to happen!

My old appliances work great. Seriously, why would I replace them? The kitchen does have a new refrigerator and dishwasher, and they work great, too!


Next to the fridge is this handy home office area...

It is clutter central, all the time...a great place to put your purse and your keys when you are bringing in the groceries. I will get it organized...one day.

Will we make changes in the future? Probably. My husband would like to remove this built-in china cabinet to improve the sight line in the kitchen.


I would love to get some dark soapstone counter tops one day. Maybe a tiled backsplash would be nice. I also think I'd like to remove the black hole of the microwave over the stove and install a pretty hood vent instead.

Small changes, not a gut job. Because if I took the guts out of this kitchen, I would lose the quirky things that I've come to love, too. No thanks. I'm keeping this kitchen's quirky guts and its quirky heart, too.

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!









2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your kitchen....brings back a few memories from my childhood home (especially the cutting boards).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your kitchen is awesome! So many fun features!

    ReplyDelete