Friday, November 15, 2013

Punch Needle November Project

I must confess, I collect needle art projects the same way I collect papers. And stamps. And dies.

Too often, I "collect" items for crafting, and then forget about actually doing the "crafting" part.

I've had this Brenda Gervais pattern for longer than I care to admit. I decided to pull it out and get started on it. No time like the present!


Punch needle is fun, and it is fast. Using a hollow needle and three strands of floss, the punch needle process makes short loops in the fabric, similar to the process of rug hooking. But because you are using a three-strand thickness and making loops, it uses a LOT of floss. I substituted Weeks Dye Works flosses for the Valdani flosses that the pattern called for, and had to pull together three different shades of navy just to fill in the night sky with the floss I had on hand.


I spent a Saturday punching this pattern while watching the Hallmark channel holiday movies. I've seen them all before, so I can listen and punch at the same time! (I'm still trying to decide which Debbie Macomber is my favorite. I think it's Trading Christmas, but I also love the Mrs. Miracle shows!)


I still need to "age" this pattern with some Distress spray. And then I'll need to make the angel head...and the wings...and the stand...and then put it all together.

Should we make a wager now to see if this one gets done before Christmas? ha ha ha!

The days are short and the nights are long. It is a great time to curl up on the couch with a needle art project and a holiday movie.

Tell me, are you making anything special for the holidays?

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of needlework- and have never tried this- but LOVE the look of this!

    ReplyDelete