Tuesday, February 17, 2015

For He Has Done Great Things For Me


Last December, during the season of Advent, I was going through the motions of holiday preparation...working, shopping, baking. And it was all good. But in the back of my mind, during those quiet moments when I had time to think, my mind was fretting over the question "Will we have to move next year?"

Home relocation takes so much time and energy, and truthfully, I did not know if I had either in abundance to give to such an endeavor. I was trying hard to quiet my heart and meditate on the coming of a savior, but it was really difficult to do when I was mentally purging closets and analyzing the housing market on Zillow.

In the midst of the chaos, the Holy Spirit gave me the Word, and it would not loosen its grip on me.

"Go and write this down RIGHT NOW!" the Holy Spirit prodded. And I did. I dropped the vacuum (I kid you not), went into the kitchen, and scribbled the words on the first note pad I could find.

"My soul magnifies the Lord, for He has done great things for me!"

And then I looked down at what I wrote. Oh! Mary's Magnificat, her statement of faith in God's plan.


I kept these words tucked into my heart during the rest of the advent season.

And then, on Christmas Eve, God did one of those awesome things that only God can do.

Our family arrived at church, ready for the Christmas Eve candlelight service. And the first song we sang with the Praise team and the rest of the congregation?

My Soul Magnifies The Lord by Chris Tomlin.

"My soul, my soul magnifies the Lord
  My soul, magnifies the Lord
  For He has done great things for me
  Great things for me!"

And yes, I cried, right there in the school gym/worship service. If Mary could submit so fully to God's plan, then I knew that I could, too. He HAS done great things for me, and I can remain confident that He will continue to do them for me in the future, no matter where I live. And when these great things happen, and I know they will, my response will be to praise God. To magnify Him.


Luke 1:46, 49
What an awesome word to meditate on for 2015.

Do you have a word for 2015?

1 comment: