Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Come To Me



I am tired.

Bone-tired.

Every day, I have a TO DO list that is a mile long.

House hunting. House selling. Cleaning. Staging. Sorting. Appointments. Inspections.

Add to that the normal schedule of school and jobs, shopping and cooking, dishes and laundry.

Add to that a husband who is now living in temporary housing in Chicago.

Add to that the tiniest bit of inconvenience, and it feels like the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

It's a recipe for exhaustion.



Is it any wonder that I go to bed late at night with a sore neck, wondering why my shoulders and arms are aching. I'm carrying the weight of the world on these shoulders, that's why!

Weary.

The word came to me last week, when I was so tired that I just wanted to cry.

Weary. Yes! That's me!

And then the Holy Spirit nudged me with the truth.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."




There it was. Jesus' personal invitation to me.

In my busyness of life, I have strayed.

I am not in bible study (too busy!), not in fellowship (no time!). Too exhausted and close to tears to even articulate a prayer. And thanks to work and travel, I had not been to my home church in over a month.

I'm not just physically weary. I am spiritually weary, too.

I cannot do it on my own.



And that is why Jesus' invitation was all the more precious this week. He doesn't expect me to.

He beckons me to come to Him.

Come to Him in the Word.

Come to Him in worship.

Come to Him in the fellowship of saints.

Come to Him in prayer.



And so I did. I took this poor weary body and mind and I leaned into Jesus.

I found Him in the Word, found him in worship and fellowship, and found Him in heart to heart prayer.

I came to Him, and He gave me rest.






No comments:

Post a Comment