Monday, July 6, 2015

Kane County Flea Market vs. Country Living Fair

It's been touted far and wide as one of the best flea markets in the country, and it's held right here in Kane County, Illinois on the first weekend of every month.

I had to see what it was all about.

We popped in yesterday afternoon to get the full experience, which I thought I'd share with you here.

What I found were treasures...expensive treasures, mixed in with a lot of junk. J.U.N.K. junk. Not the shabby chic item you are going to pick up for a steal, take home, and slap some Annie Sloan paint on to make it beautiful kind of junk. No, just junk.

Yes, if you have your heart set on some vintage crocks, you will find them. Be prepared to pay top dollar.

Expecting to find friendly sellers? Look elsewhere. I probably talked to three nice vendors, and the rest were down right crabby and rude. And guess what, vendors? I don't reward nasty with purchases....EVER. I will buy from the nice vendor every time, even if it costs a little more. Why? Because my husband and I have been in the retail business for most of our adult lives. It's our bread and butter. The customer isn't just right...the customer signs your next paycheck.

My advice to most of the sellers at the Kane County flea market? There's a place called ebay for people who don't want to take the time to be nice to the public. Good luck with that.

Will I go back? Maybe in a few months, by myself, if I have a particular need for the house. In the meantime, I am saving my money for this:


The Country Living Fair!

If you have never been, you do not know what you are missing! Part festival, part flea market, and all around fun. You know how you have to walk through a lot of crap in a flea market to find one nice booth? At the Country Living Fair, every booth is nice. No, I take that back. Not just nice. Fantastic!

Looking for vintage antiques and collectibles? You will find them here, and at really good prices, too. You will also find celebrities giving talks and demonstrations on everything from antiquing to cooking, sewing to soap making. The vendors? Fun and friendly people.

The Country Living Fairs are held at various times and locations around the country. My sister, Tina, and I attended the event in Columbus, Ohio last year. We had so much fun that we are going back for more this September!













As you can see, great booths with wonderful displays and merchandise. It is full of inspiration!

Just two months until the next CL Fair in September! I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fairly new follower and want to say welcome to Kane County. Sorry to hear that you did not care for the Kane Co. Flea Market. Hard to believe that flea market has been going for decades and I haven't been for many years. You're right though, there is a lot of JUNK at flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Pat! I was probably in a mood. I'm sure if I go back without impatient husbands and sons in tow I will have a good time! And thanks for the welcome to Kane County! I really do love it here!

      Delete