Sunday, January 10, 2016

Storage, Soup, and Other Ways To Hibernate



On cold winter days in January, I like to put on the tea kettle and putter around the house. Make something in the craft room, throw in a load of laundry, hand wash those sweaters, invent a new soup. It's a great time to burrow in and hibernate.


I've been spending some time in my craft room this weekend, sorting through what I have and discovering sets I forgot I'd purchased. As it turns out, I own the stamp set Ruby Rose from Papertrey Ink...AND the dies to match. Huh. I must have bought that one from the buy/sell forums and completely forgot about it.

Shopping through one's own stash can be quite enlightening.

That's when I decided that I really needed to sort my PTI dies. Hopefully, it will help me find what I'm looking for, and remember what I already have in my stash.

But I just hate to spend money on ways to organize the stuff I've spent money on...know what I mean? Money spent on crafting storage is money I could spend on something new from winter CHA! So instead, I used some paper scraps, a tab punch, and some washi tape, and came up with a system that I am calling "good enough!"



A flip through file system to help me stay organized. Perfect. Cost= zero!

I made a really good knock off version of Panera's Turkey Chili last night. My family loved it, and it was serious comfort food on a cold winter's night. A great mix of beans and lots of veggies make this a fiber filled, protein packed meal!

Turkey Chili

1 lb. ground turkey
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes (Rotel, or seasoned works well)
1 small can mild green chilies
1 c. sweet corn
1 c. chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 can mild chili beans
1 can kidney beans
2 c. tomato sauce ( I was out, so I substituted with 2 c. water and added tomato paste)
cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper to taste

In a separate pan, cook ground turkey. In stock pot, add olive oil, celery, carrots, onion and garlic until tender. Add tomatoes, mild chilies, corn, chick peas, beans, and tomato sauce or paste. Add turkey. Season to taste and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Serve with garlic toast, and enjoy!

I would have taken a photo of this colorful chili, but my family quickly ate the leftovers today. Yes, it was that good. :)

Blessings on your hibernation time, friends!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Rose. I'm just starting Patter's challenge and found you thru that. I think I had almost same day today as yours yesterday! Especially since I made your recipe using stuff we had on hand, not exactly same but purdy tasty! So thanks for sharing that. I'm also enjoying seeing your scripture journaling. I'm new to it and have starting a binder-ring 6x6 loose leaf wc paper journal, that may or may not morph into a junk journal, who knows? Haven't actually read the Bible cover to cover in a while, either, so I'm due for that as well. Have a good week! xoxo, Aimeslee Winans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Aimeslee! Welcome to the cafe! I, too, have a few different journals I use, in addition to my journaling bible....a Smash journal, an art journal, etc. I'm excited to participate in Patter's challenge this year! (And so glad you liked the Turkey Chili! It's soup season!)
    Blessings,
    Mary Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Aimeslee! Welcome to the cafe! I, too, have a few different journals I use, in addition to my journaling bible....a Smash journal, an art journal, etc. I'm excited to participate in Patter's challenge this year! (And so glad you liked the Turkey Chili! It's soup season!)
    Blessings,
    Mary Rose

    ReplyDelete