Sunday, March 20, 2016

Craving The Simple


I sent this photo to my sister, Tina, last weekend with this text message:

"A photo of my desk. Can you zoom in on the book? That is what is known as 'irony'. Looks like I'll be cleaning this weekend."

The book in mention? Organized Simplicity.  Yes, I crack myself up.

We all crave simplicity, don't we? No one wants a complicated life. And yet life is often just as messy as the top of my desk.

I've been studying First and Second Thessalonians, and I found this verse from 1 Thess. 4:11-12 to be a great reminder:

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."

That is so counter-cultural to the messages we hear in the world. Quiet? We live in the loud. MYOB? Is that even possible with Facebook and Twitter and 24/7 streaming news? Work with your hands? We work with our brains. Our daily life is so insular from outsiders, it's hard to think of even making an impact on others.

And yet we crave the simple.

Most of the time, I am completely content in my quiet life. A puppy chewing at my shoe laces, an espresso from my coffee bar, and I'm all set. It's the solitary life that gets me into trouble. That is when I need to remember to put on my coat and go work in the garden or take a walk or go in the basement and work with my hands.

Something simple.

So I made this Easter card with that thought in mind.


{Today's Brew: stamps from Lawn Fawn, picket fence die (Lawn Fawn), scallop edge die (MFT),PTI card stock, COPIC markers, paper doily}


Simple blessings, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment