Sunday, April 10, 2016

Glory Art Scripture Challenge #4: Legacy


One of my sons, who shall remain unnamed, forgot my birthday a few weeks back. And then, to make matters worse, he told me that he made his father the beneficiary of his Roth IRA.

"That's it!" I told him. "First, you forgot my birthday. Second, you made your Dad the beneficiary? That does it! I am cutting you out of my will! You aren't going to inherit ANY of my stamp sets when I die! I'm leaving them all to your brothers!"

He laughed, and so did I. When it comes to worldly possessions, my sons will have nothing to fight over when I'm gone except who is going to post the photos of my craft room on Craigslist with the heading "Free To Good Homes!"


This begs the question: What will be my legacy?

My hope is that each of my sons will grab one of my bibles.

My one year chronological bible, where I wrote in the margins while propped in bed each night.

My journaling bible, where I poured out my creative offering to the Creator.

My tear-stained, coffee-splashed, worn out NIV bible that I bought at the bookstore of my St. Louis home away from home church more than ten years ago.

Three testaments of my faith. Three records of the journey God has brought me on in this decade of my life.



Deuteronomy 6:4 opens with the Shema, the great statement of faith of the Jewish people.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one."

The Shema. The Hebrew word for "listen".

And then it continues:

"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."

Here is our legacy.

When I walked in to our Pittsburgh home for the first time, I told my husband and the realtor that it made me happy. I didn't know why. It just did.

And then I met the sweet couple who had raised their sons in this happy home.

They made it happy.

It wasn't until we painted our front doors that I finally discovered the foundation for this happy home.


There, on the doorframe, I had discovered the spot where the previous owners had once mounted their mezzuzah.

In Jewish tradition, a mezzuzah is a small cylinder mounted to the doorframe where a roll of scripture is placed, in keeping with the command here in Deuteronomy. Through all of their comings and goings, they built their home upon the word.




This is the same legacy I inherited from my own parents, who studied the word and spoke about it with their children.

I have a family where I can talk with brothers about the theory that young David was really a pretty skilled warrior when he took on Goliath. I can sit at mom's table and hear my sisters speak with passion about their new missions and ministries.

And I can come home to my own table and talk with my own family about what it means to be a Berean, and how I had to testify to the visitors at my front door with the message of grace.

When we sit at home, and when we walk along the road.

When we lie down and when we get up.

This is the legacy of love. Because the word wasn't God-breathed. The word IS God-breathed. He breathes it into my life every day. It is there, like a breath of fresh air ready to fill my lungs.


To my sons: I'm sorry if you were hoping for earthly riches, but you know me. I spent it all at the craft store. Serves you right for forgetting your Mama's birthday! {just kidding}


I made this page today for Patter's Glory Art Scripture challenge!

Blessings, cafe friends!

1 comment:

  1. what a treasure you are leaving them - priceless! (Plus your blog will remind them of all your moves :-)

    ReplyDelete