Friday, April 15, 2016

It's Not Over Yet


I was in the car last month, listening to the radio, when the guys from the band "For King And Country" were talking about the story behind their song "It's Not Over Yet".

They told how they were inspired to write this song for their little sister, who had suffered from chronic Lyme disease. They talked about her struggle...to get a diagnosis, to get help, to get healing. They wanted to write a song for her to tell her to fight the good fight and keep the faith.

As I listened, I remember thinking "Oh yeah. That was me."

I struggled with a chronic form of Lyme disease for years. There were the missed diagnosis by doctors. And then, after diagnosis, there were the cycles of treatments and remissions and recurrences. I lived in Indiana for five years, and I honestly think I was sick more than half the time I lived there.

It was a hard thing for friends and family to understand. They heard that you took antibiotics for a few weeks, and presto, you were better. Only I wasn't getting better. My Lyme disease had turned into an autoimmune disorder. Chronic joint pain, fatigue, rash, fever, swollen lymph nodes, and a host of other problems to battle.

On many days, the battle wasn't just physical. It was a daily spiritual battle to hold onto the faith and the hope that things would get better. In the end, I honestly believe that the devil tried to keep me in sickness and defeat.

I was broken.

The best part about being broken? Sometimes, that's exactly where God needs you to be so that He can do a miraculous work in your life.

And He did. He brought me healing. Physical and spiritual healing.

I still get anxious every spring, when my flare ups would occur. I know that I could have a recurrence to deal with in the future. But I also know that I have a God in heaven who is my Comforter and my Healer. He is Jehovah-Jireh, the God who provides. He is Jehovah-Rophe, the God who heals.

And because He Heals, I know that I can keep on fighting the good fight.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTmTMcdxOs

No comments:

Post a Comment