Monday, May 16, 2016

Fixer Upper House: The Boys' Bath Room Before and After


Another weekend, another room remodel. Are you sensing a pattern here?

The weather has been erratic in the Midwest...nice and sunny one day, cold and damp the next. On the sunny days we work outdoors in the yard and garden, and on the rainy days we try to get a job done inside the house.


The boy's bathroom needed some attention. For starters, the tan walls were painted in the same terrible quality flat paint that we've encountered throughout the house. In a bathroom, it's really best to go with something like a Satin (which we did) or semi-gloss for a little added protection from moisture.

And how many years has it been since these wooden fixtures were popular? They had to go.

I knew we could do better.


Here it is:


We painted the room in Sherwin Williams Lemongrass, a nice soothing spring green.



We also purchased some new fixtures in brushed nickel to match the existing light fixture and pulls on the cabinets. We added a new towel rod and a new toilet paper holder, which happened to match the bath accessories we purchased for our Pittsburgh house.






Yes, the boys use this bath room, but it is also a bath room for guests. I try to keep the decor neutral for this reason.




I wish I could tell you that I repurposed an old door, but that would be a lie. I actually picked this shabby piece up at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $10! It came with the clothespins, too. So I rummaged through my paper crafting supplies and found a few cute seasonal papers to attach to the chicken wire. Fun!

As long as we were freshening up this room, I decided to add a new shower caddy, some new scrubbies, and some much needed hooks for the back door.


The hooks look like they were made to match the new fixtures, when in fact they are just Command Strip hooks in the same finish.


I think the new color did a nice job of tying in the existing tile with the shower curtain and bath towels and mats from Target that we'd purchased last year.




This update was pretty cheap. Paint and accessories were under $100.

The good news is that we only needed to use half a gallon of the paint, so we will use the same color when we paint the laundry room next weekend.

Thanks for visiting the cafe today! Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    We had snow here on Sunday! SNOW! Gah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, Tammy! Maybe I'm not in such a big hurry to move back to Michigan after all! LOL! It's not much better where I'm standing, so praying that sunshine and nice weather are just around the corner.

      Delete
  2. Amazing how small changes make such a difference. Beautiful! I'd love for you to come redecorate my house!

    ReplyDelete