Saturday, September 17, 2016

Surprise Sunflowers


When you feed the birds, you will invariably feed chipmunks and squirrels and other animals that visit your yard, too.

I've been feeding quite a few chipmunks this season, and it looks like they've left me a thank you gift!

I noticed these a few weeks ago, growing near my potting table. Hmmm. Could it be? I decided not to pull this "weed" and just let it grow.


I love sunflowers, but I don't always have the best luck with them. It seems the rabbits love them as much as I do, and will usually eat them before they can grow and bloom. But these sunflowers must've escaped their attention.


I will admit, I never would have thought to plant them here, but I'm so glad the chipmunks did. It looks like the perfect spot for an autumn garden display.

Thank you, chipmunks!

2 comments:

  1. We also had a volunteer sunflower near a transplanted shrub which was near the bird feeder in its first site. Nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it looks perfect there!

    ReplyDelete