Friday, November 4, 2016

Felted Wool and Ribbon Book Mark: A Few Tips and Tricks


Welcome to the cafe! Today I thought I'd show you a few tips and tricks for making the felted wool and ribbon book mark that is featured on my PTI Star Search Video!
(click here:http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2016/11/papertrey-star-search-finalists-vote-now.html)


If you've watched the video, then there's a small part I have to explain. My videographer and film director/producer, Sam, told me that there was a glitch and a short clip ended up on the cutting room floor. In the clip, I had briefly explained how I used my DMC floss and needle to quickly attach three beads to the center of every flower, and then attached the leaf to the back, and then attached the flower and leaf to the front of the coffee pot and coffee cup. You can see the beads in the photo above! I think it makes them look a little more like small poinsettias.

To attach these book marks to the card fronts, I had to come up with a way to keep them firmly in place, but also making it easy to pull out for future use.

I decided to use the bookmark die to create a white panel for the card front. This die has a hole at the top for looping a ribbon through. So I simply pushed some of the ribbon through this hole, dangling the coffee cup centered in the front of the panel, and then looping the remaining ribbon over the top of the card and tucking the end with the coffee cup inside the card (I'll show you in just a minute!).


I adhered the bookmark die panel with foam dimensionals to give a little room for tucking in the length of ribbon, as you can see here.


And then I began to wonder....what if the recipient doesn't know that this isn't just a card, but it's also a useful bookmark? That's when I came up with the idea to use some stamps from the PTI set All Booked Up inside to give a little clue!


I stamped the book image on a piece of card stock, and colored the ribbon with a marker. Then, I stamped the sentiment "Let me save your spot" on a label die from the PTI stamp set Tea For Two. I used a strip of strong tape on the left and right side of this stamped panel of card stock, and adhered it on the left hand side of the interior.


Here, you can see where I've tucked the coffee cup end of the book mark behind this panel.


If you pull on the ribbon, both ends very easily come free, and the recipient can use it as a book mark! Pretty neat, huh?


I hoped you enjoyed today's tutorial! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a note in the comments and I will answer them!

Don't forget to vote for your favorite videos!

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

4 comments:

  1. So very pretty, and a nice gift, too! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this! I saw your video on PTI (and voted for you: :) I make bookmarks too and am always looking for creative packaging ideas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete