Saturday, November 5, 2016

Fixer Upper House: A Kitchen Window Refresh


If you are like me, you probably spend a lot of time at your sink...washing dishes, cleaning out dog bowls, filling water bottles for puppy walks.

I try to make that window a pretty place to be. While I cannot completely control the view (grrr, don't get me started), I can control how it looks from the inside, right?

This is how the window looked at Christmas. I've had the red checked valance for a long time. I think it was from my St. Louis house, so we're talking eleven years now. It added a little pop of red for the holiday, but in a lot of respects it was a little dated in style.

I've been looking at tailored window valances online, something classy and timeless that would bring together all the colors we've used in the downstairs remodel. And I found a few at Country Curtains that fit the bill, but wow...the $60 price tag had me putting that update off for another day.


I was shopping at one of my favorite consignment shops in Noblesville, Indiana...Logan's Antique Mall. I spotted what looked like a lovely piece of fabric tossed into a basket on the floor of one booth. Intrigued, I went over to inspect it, and lo and behold it was a tailored kitchen window valance FROM COUNTRY CURTAINS no less!


And I loved the colors! The blues and greens and beiges that we've painted in the downstairs rooms, along with some warm yellows and russets to match the existing wood trim!

Here's the real blessing: TWELVE dollars! Sold!


I hung it on a cafe rod from Target, and instantly sighed with happiness!


I love how the drying hydrangeas on my windowsill bring out the earthy greens in the valance!



In the grand scheme of things, this was not a big refresh. It won't make or break the sale of the house. But for me, I think that windows look a little more finished with a curtain, and fabric always brings a softness and texture to a room that is appealing.


When I find a bargain like this, I try to remember that I'm not "lucky". I'm blessed! Blessed beyond measure!

Blessings on your weekend, cafe friends!

2 comments:

  1. I just realized it was a place I spend a lot of time and added some plants and decorations to give me a smile when I am at the sink. Nice refresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need a smile at the sink, don't we? :)

      Delete