Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Rooted: Where My 2016 Word Took Me


On Christmas morning, I was talking with my son, John. We drank mimosas and spoke of life and faith.

I told him about my frustration this year with various bible studies and popular speakers that preached if you only did A, B, and C, you would be a much better Christian. Empty out your closets, stop eating drive thru, plant an organic pesticide free garden, stop your social media. It seemed like every book you read told you what you should and shouldn't be doing to cure all the social ills that plague us. Do this. Don't do that. You know, all the things Jesus did while he was here on earth. If Jesus had a Facebook account and cluttered closets.

{insert dramatic eye roll here}

John said the most insightful thing, and it's been in my thoughts ever since he said it. He said that's not what our faith is about at all.

"We're not about doing," he said. "We're about done! We're about done-ing!"

I love that so much.

We are about done-ing!

It is not what we "should" or "should not" do. It is about what God did through His Son, born in a stable with just six miles and thirty-odd years separating him from the cradle to the cross.

Done.

My word for 2016 was "Rooted". And I really and truly thought that God put this word on my heart because He wanted me to get rooted in my new community. Join this, serve at that, talk with this person, work there.

As the year progressed, I realized that I really never felt one inch closer to being rooted. Not at all.

And then, at the tail end of the year, I re-examined my bible verse from Colossians 2:6-7.

"Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving."

Ah, there it was all along.

Not rooted in place. Rooted in him! Rooted in the faith that I was taught, the faith passed down from generations and poured into me as a child.

It was an eye opener.

And I need to be rooted in this faith, so that I can pour it into my own children and preserve it for future generations.

I'm holding on to my faith this coming year. I'm going to continue to read the word and walk with Jesus every day.

Abounding with thanksgiving. Abounding!

It feels good to finally be rooted.

2016. Done!

1 comment:

  1. Aah, the essence of it all - Jesus, to be rooted in Him. Thank you for a year of well-written posts. Blessings

    ReplyDelete