Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Legend of the Bayberry Candle


"Why can't I find bayberry candles anywhere?" my mom asked me before the holidays.

I asked Mom why that fragrance was so important.

"You know. The legend of the bayberry candle!"

Nope. Completely forgot about that one. But as she spoke of it, it did begin to ring a bell.

In colonial times, the bayberry candle was prized and saved for special occasions. According to the legend, it was to be burned on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. And here's why:


"Legend has it burning a bayberry candle from tip to socket puts luck in the home and gold in the pocket."

I went to the Yankee Candle store before Christmas and purchased these taper candles...a box for Mom's house, and a box for our house as well.



Wishing you all blessings in 2017...because who needs luck when we have the Lord?

1 comment:

  1. I did not know that about the candles. Thanks, for sharing. Hope you have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete