Thursday, January 5, 2017

Hygge


Do you hygge?

Hygge (pronounced hue-guh)  is a Danish term that often defies definition.

For starters, it's a feeling of coziness and warmth. It is often connected with winter, but can actually be experienced all year long.

Hygge is the practice of living in the moment, and making that moment warm and cozy and friendly.


In the Midwest, we refer to this time of year as our winter hibernation. And in many ways, that is also what hygge is all about. The days are short and the nights are long. Time to light some candles, stoke the fire, and snuggle in with a warm beverage.


This cold of mine had me feeling down yesterday. I had to snap myself out of it and remind myself that this year we are going to hygge. We are not going to rush through the season, trying to survive until spring. Nope. This year, we are going to embrace the season for the wonderful opportunity that it gives us to slow down and pause.


I brewed a cup of tea with honey (for this cough), dimmed the lights, lit the candles, and burrowed in under a warm furry blanket with an inspirational book.


It helps to have a warm furry someone to snuggle with, too.


I spoke to my mom about this Danish concept of hygge. When I started to describe it, she said "Oh! You mean 'gemutlichkeit!' "

Apparently, the Germans have been practicing their own version of cozy cheerfulness all along.


It is very cold today, but I'm going to bundle up anyway. Time to get out of the house and find a warm and cozy cafe where I can hygge.

Gemutlichkeit. Not to be confused with Gesundheit.

God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment