Sunday, January 15, 2017

Where I Belong


When you move as often as we have over the past twelve years, you start to wish that someone would develop an app to make the process easier. Just plug in your parameters and preferences, and voila, you would have an instant list telling you exactly where you belong.

If only it were that easy.

Instead, we throw darts at maps and charts and hope for the best. And then I question myself incessantly.

Do we belong in this neighborhood or that neighborhood?

Does Sam belong in this school or that one?

Do we belong in this church or that church?

Should I join this committee, or should I belong to this group instead?

Should I get a job here, or would I rather work there?

Someone, please, tell me where I belong?


When I was a child, my mother taught me this German prayer.

"Ich bin klein (I am small)
Mein herz ist rein (my heart is clean)
Soll neimand drin wohnen (and I belong)
Als Jesus allein." (to Jesus alone)


Such a sweet, powerful statement of faith.

In Mark 9:41, Jesus spells it out for me. You belong to Christ.

Plain and simple.

And He goes on to say that even small acts of love will have big impact, simply because we belong to Him.


I am small, my heart is clean, and I belong to Jesus alone.


                                                                        Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment