Tuesday, August 8, 2017

BLT Salad


Last week, I made a summertime dinner of BLTs, with a side of fresh from the the market green beans. I served it to the family on toasted whole wheat buns, and it looked pretty yummy. But I am steering away from a lot of bread products these days (watching my carbs), so I decided to turn mine into a salad.

Oh my!

This salad was so delicious! I think the secret was two-fold: I added a diced hard boiled egg, and I put the green beans right on top. Ah-mazing. I think we often get in a rut with salads, and they all end up looking the same...lettuce, tomato, blah blah blah. But when you add a few different fruit or vegetable combinations, it can really turn it into something special.


I don't know how you cook fresh green beans, but I decided to boil mine in a stock pot with chicken stock. And when they were done, I may have seasoned a bit with salt and pepper, Bragg's Nutritional Yeast, and a few bacon crumbles.

Here's the recipe:

BLT Salad
Artisan Greens
Fresh garden tomato, diced
Hard boiled egg, diced
Prepared green beans
Bacon, crisp and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
A drizzle of dressing


And this is my dressing of choice these days. No sugar, no trans fats, and only a trace of carb.


There are a lot of BLT salad recipes out there...some easy, some complicated. But I thought this one was not only delicious, but good for me, too. Fiber, protein, healthy fats. It's all there.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment