Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Poppies For Tina


Do you have someone in your life who you go to every time you need a calm, rational, take charge person to give you some sound advice and direction?

That's my big sister, Tina. It's no surprise that she's a nurse, given all of those qualities. She's the person who looks at a bleeding injury and very calmly says "Oh-kay. Let's get that stitched up at the emergency room now."

In our family we refer to her as Doctor Tina because we are always going to her for medical advice.

So it was a real blow to all of us when our big sister was diagnosed with ovarian cancer early this summer.

And just like a bossy big sister, she was giving us all directions from her hospital bed post surgery, while she was still groggy and loopy from anesthesia.

"Okay, we're not going to have any of this sad stuff," she said. Only she didn't say "stuff". Did I mention she was still medicated?

"We're going to stay positive. My bible verse has been Luke 12 through all of this, so we are not going to worry."

That's around the time I tried to inject a little humor into the sad situation.

"Okay," I said. "Did I mention that I requested the Chip and Joanna Gaines Fixer Upper room here at the hospital? They told me they couldn't get the ship lap installed for you in time."

She laughed, and I laughed. It was good to laugh. We still do. A lot.


I made this card for Tina yesterday. She IS so strong. And she's doing really well through her chemotherapy. Her friends and family are surrounding her with prayer, her church family is lifting her up in prayer. And if you think of it, will you please lift Tina up in prayer, too?

I used the Pretty Poppies and Delicate Poppies stamp sets from My Favorite Things. Aren't these stamps lovely? So glad I got them, and on sale too! I first stamped the solid images on watercolor paper using Distress Inks. Then, I sprayed it all with some white Glimmer Mist and dried it. Then, I used Distress Sprays and dried again. Finally, I went back over with the outline stamps to highlight the flowers and leaves. I really love the painterly effect.


I stamped and water colored the envelope, too. I like to think it makes my mail lady smile.

{Today's Brew: Poppies stamp sets from MFT, die cut from MFT, watercolor paper, PTI card stock, Distress inks and sprays, Glimmer Mist}

September is ovarian cancer awareness month. I will be posting some info here on my blog, so stay tuned.

Bless you, cafe friends!

2 comments: