Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017: The Year of Going Grey


Do you remember back in 2016 when I decided I wanted to stop coloring my hair?

In February of this year, I chopped off most of my hair into a short pixie, cutting off the old color to let the new natural color emerge. It was a gift to myself for my 50th birthday. Freedom from stinky chemicals!


I've let it grow a bit since then. And slowly, gradually, the grey has appeared. Not in a shocking way. Just streaks, here and there.

I'm referring to them as God's highlights.

I went to a stylist for a consultation this summer. She recommended highlights that would grow out gradually (lies!). I decided not to go back to her. My new stylist had a "Hey, it looks good to me, and as long as you like it" attitude. I like her. :)


Now, when I look in the mirror, the color looks natural and right somehow. It is darker than I imagined, but it suits my coloring better than any bottle shade. Yes, I sparkle in the sunshine like a vampire from a cheesy romance novel.  But I'm okay with that.

My sister, Tina, and I used to talk about the going grey idea like it was something scary. And then Tina was diagnosed with ovarian cancer this year, and she lost all her hair. It really put things in perspective.






Tina is pretty sure that when her hair does grow back, it will be completely white. Like Moses when he saw the glory of the LORD on Mt. Sinai. She looks beautiful even without hair, so I'm certain it will look fantastic on her.


Grace...my word for 2017. And aging gracefully was all part of that. But of course, grace means so much more. And I recognized grace in abundance this year. For all that 2017 brought me, I am thankful.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, the pictures don't really show any gray! :) I have a lot of gray - mostly it's clear LOL - so it doesn't really show up in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hair looks great - color and length. Your sister looks good. I hope her health continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is so pretty, and I like the cut too!

    ReplyDelete