Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Sweeter Than Honey


B.I.B.L.E.

Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

You've probably heard that one before.

 I heard a young pastor say the funniest thing about this acronym. He called it the worst explanation of the Bible ever. After all, who likes reading instruction manuals? If you're like me, you might give it a cursory glance, but then you only read the instructions as the last resort.


The Bible is so much more than an instruction manual.

This pastor and author went on to say that the Scriptures are inspired, infallible, inerrant, clear, sufficient, efficacious, but also, most importantly, they are AWESOME!

I love that.


I love God's Word, and I love reading my Bible. But when I try to reduce it to a daily exercise, like taking a vitamin or doing some sit ups, I always lose momentum. Whenever I try to follow a bible reading plan, I get to around week two and start to lose steam. I've read the Bible in a year, and that can be really helpful. But sometimes, I just need to get in the Word and do some binge-reading.

Like, seriously, who could watch only one episode of the Gilmore Girls when the new season got dumped in to Netflix? Not me! I had to watch it all, in one sitting.

Put a plate of homemade cookies in front of me, and expect me to take just one? I don't think so.


This verse from Psalm 19 speaks to this: "More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb."

In ancient times, a Jewish father would write these words on slate and drip honey on top. He would give it to his children to "taste and see that the Lord is good." God's Word is sweeter than honey.

Psalm 119:20 says "My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times."

I've been reading my Bible with a renewed longing this month. A cup of coffee, a comfy chair, my Sharpie pen (no bleed through!), and a book. Romans. Corinthians. John. And like my word for 2018, I am finding what I need: truth, spoken in to my heart.

Sweeter than honey.


{Today's Brew: Fly By Friends (MFT), Happy Hedgehogs (MFT), Well Scripted alphabet (MFT), honeycomb stencil, PTI inks, COPIC markers}

3 comments:

  1. Love love this post! God's word is truly sweeter than honey! I have been reading your blog for a while and love your simple, honest style. I'm a card maker (love PTI too), a Bible believing Lutheran, and my husband and I were married the same year as you and your husband. It's been neat to see our similarities as I've been reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your ❤️! (Love your color choices for freshing up and making your new house into your home too.) Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! Thanks so much for your sweet words of encouragement. They always warm my heart! It's nice to know I have a kindred spirit out there. Thanks for being a regular here at the cafe. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that verse! I am getting the PTI one hopefully on the 15th, and need to do more bible journaling!

    ReplyDelete