Monday, February 19, 2018

Hands On


Sometimes, I feel really disconnected to paper crafting.

I tend to have a love-like relationship with it that comes and goes. On the one hand, I enjoy making cards. On the other hand, I'm not the best at getting them mailed out, and they can pile up, unused, for  quite a while.

I like new products and techniques, but I also get frustrated with "trends" and the need to keep purchasing the next big wish list item while neglecting the items I already possess. Honestly, the spendy side of this hobby convicts me.

Does anyone else struggle with this?


In a way, stamping often feels like a shortcut to me, as if I'm missing something in the process in a rush to get to the end product.

I rely heavily on stamps and papers, which is fine. But I really want to start designing my own images. I need to explore my own style, and stop borrowing from the style of the moment.

Hands-on. That's what I'm after right now.

It's funny, because I got really "hands-on" with some water coloring recently. Who needs a palette when you can mix colors right on the back of your hand?



{Today's Brew: Beautiful Bouquet: Ranunculus (WPlus9), PTI paper and card stock, doily, seam binding}


4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! I like your pretty card; I like your pretty hand! Ha! I cannot draw to save my life, so that is not my issue. But even if I narrow my favorite stamp companies to 5 or 6, each release brings images I love from at least one of those! But I have too many that have not gotten use. Even one new stamp set along with postage is expensive. So where do you draw the line? Sometimes it feels like it's all too much, too fast. Sometimes it feels easier to just browse everyone else's creations. But it is still fun to create. *Sigh* (Waving to Jemma!) M.L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card! Watercolor painting is so much fun! I'm about 90% SU. i really like being part of a group and go to three different demo's stamp cards ( not to each event each month tho). I'm to the point that I do not want any more stamp sets!! I went to two retired sales and there was so much of everything!!! Those purchases really put me over the top! I have no desire to purchase anything. It's to the point of any more and it's going to be a negative. I'm only buying paper, rhinestones, re-inkers, etc. it feels good to put the brakes! I don't want more.......hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, more is just more, Deb. Its good to know when to cry uncle!

      Delete