Friday, May 25, 2018

Planting Vegetables in Containers


Sorry for the long absence, cafe friends! The weather here in Michigan has been lovely, and I have been working in the garden every day. Don't you love this time of year? Everything looks so lush and green!

I wanted to get some seeds planted, specifically these lettuce, spinach, and basil varieties. If I had a nice plot of fenced garden, I would put these right in the beds. But I have entire families of rabbits and deer that would hit them like an All You Can Eat salad bar.

Instead, I plant these in shallow bowls, and you can, too!


Look for seed varieties that say "Container Friendly", and you are good to go. You don't need huge, deep pots, as these will not have big root systems. I found these nice shallow bowls at Walmart (Better Homes and Gardens), and they are perfect! Twelve inches across, with a nice shallow depth for this sort of planting.


Here's a great gardening tip. You will want pots that have drainage holes, otherwise water can collect on the bottom and you will develop root rot. In the past, I used to put a layer of small rocks or smashed potting shard on the bottom to cover the holes and help with drainage. Then I learned this trick!


Take a coffee filter and cover the hole (or holes), then carefully fill with potting soil. The filter will allow the water to drain out, but will keep the dirt in the pot from escaping out the holes. Brilliant!


You don't have to use fancy pots, either. I had these leftover plastic containers from some phlox that I found at Walmart last week. I liked the size and shape of them, so after planting the phlox in the garden I just rinsed these off and used them for more lettuce and spinach planting.


My very fancy labeling system: Sharpie! LOL! Gee, if only I knew a crafty person who could make some cute plant markers. ;)  Future project!


I am so behind on card making! I need to get in the studio and crank some out soon. I need a few rainy days to get my indoor projects done. But for now, the sun beckons me outdoors, and I must go.

Blessings, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment