Sunday, July 15, 2018

Card Sending: Why Card Makers Do What We Do



I am a pretty good card maker. I consistently make cards on a weekly and monthly basis.

I'm a good card maker. But I'm not always a good card sender.

Why do I let that happen?

I will often make a card with an individual in mind, but then I will forget to put it in the mail box. And before I know it, I have thirty cards piled up in a shoe box that are starting to feel as if they are past their "Best If Sent By" date.


Please, tell me I'm not the only one!

My mom is really good at sending. She will make fifty cards on a stamp crafting weekend (fifty to my twelve! LOL!), and before you know it she has mailed them all out and needs to make more.



Last week, I decided enough was enough. I put a dozen cards in the mail. Get well cards. Retirement cards. Birthday cards. Thank you cards. Cards of encouragement. It felt really good to get those handmade cards out of the shoe box and into the mail box.


So many people got cards from me this week. And so many people sent calls and texts to thank me. They stopped me in church to thank me. They told me that their cards are now propped on window sills or fireplace mantels or refrigerators. A reminder that I cared enough to send a little piece of my heart.

And that, my friends, is why I'm still a card maker. It's not because I need the "You Go Girl" pats on the back. It's because I want people to know that I'm thinking of them and lifting them up in prayer.

Simple acts of love with big impact.

Maybe you are a really good letter writer. Maybe you crochet dish scrubbers. Maybe you make quilts. Maybe you cook casseroles. Whatever it is you do, I'm hear to tell you to keep at it. Serve your neighbor, love on your friends, honor your family. Be an encourager to someone today.

Blessings, cafe friends!

{Today's Brew: Graceful Greetings sentiment (PTI), Year of Psalms (PTI), Birch background (PTI), PTI ink and card stock, Mix and Mat Plaid die (PTI), Wee Folk bird dies (PTI), watercolor paper}

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! It's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it! I mail in streaks, mostly a reaction to occasions and sometimes weeks late for sympathy cards. Knowing how much I enjoy "real" mail spurs me on to making more cards.

    ReplyDelete