Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Clean Eating, Again


Women. Our bodies are amazing things, aren't they? We are fearfully and wonderfully made. And with each new season in life, there seems to be a new change, a shifting in our lifestyle. Modifications need to be made along the way to stay in optimal health.

In your thirties, you think "Maybe I should go to the gym more, and lay off the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies."

And then your forties arrive, and you think "I cannot eat the diet of my children. Burgers and fries and pizza...it has to go!"

And then fifties usher in a new era. "Don't even look at that piece of bread!"

Ah, the joys of womanhood!

Ever since my long bout with Lyme disease, my body reacts in ways similar to other autoimmune disorders. Joint pain, fatigue, bloating and stomach issues.

I had been backsliding since December. Bread, pastries, wine, sugar, cheese. All things in moderation, of course. But even in moderation, I paid the price.

This week, I am getting back on track.

I've been researching anti-inflammatory diets and auto-immune protocols. It seems that dairy and wheat are big no-nos, along with sugar and alcohol (which really, is sugar, too). Processed foods are out. Organic lean meats, eggs, fruits and veggies are in.

Clean eating.

It involves a lot of thought and planning and cooking, but in the end, I can't argue with results.

Day three, and my bloating is gone, with minimal stomach cramping. Down a half a pound, too.

There really is no excuse not to eat clean this time of year, when farmer's markets are in full steam. Fresh produce everywhere, including our own garden this year!









Small changes. Modifications. I can't say that I will be able to follow a plan one hundred percent, but I can try my best to be kind to my body, this temple.

Blessings, cafe friends!

2 comments:

  1. We attended a 12 week plant-based class recently. While we've adopted a vegetarian diet I still use eggs, a bit of cheese and try to control ice cream servings. My weakness is traveling via bakeries! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Vikki! We are going on vacation next week, and it will be hard to keep up. Summer time seems like ice cream season, right?

      Delete