Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Giant Allium, and Why You Need Them Now


My sister, Jenny, was over to the cottage recently. We were having coffee and flipping through magazines at the kitchen table when she looked into the family room and said "What is that cool flower over there?"


I had to confess that those were the dead, dried Giant Allium that had bloomed in the garden this spring. When I was cleaning out the garden, I decided to bring these indoors. They were just too beautiful to throw in the yard waste recycling.

My sister said it looked like the kind of arrangement you would spend big money on at a home decor store.


Imagine my surprise when I looked at the September issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine and saw this photo! As Martha used to say, "It's a good thing!"

So why mention these dead, dried Giant Allium now? Because now is the time that you can find the bulbs at your garden centers and plant them for spring blossoms!


Here is an example, taken at the Matthei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor. Lovely, aren't they?


Pretty for all the seasons!

Blessings, cafe friends!

2 comments: