Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Sam's Birthday!


Hello, cafe friends! Today is my youngest son's birthday!

Sam is fifteen!

I can hardly believe it. When I started blogging back in 2007, Sam had just turned four. He was just a preschooler yesterday, and today he is a young man.

I wish that I could tell you in my 28 + years of parenting that it has gotten easier. It has not. Quite the opposite, actually. Between my oldest sons' generation and my youngest son's generation, the culture of this world we live in has changed so drastically, and not for the better. Every day, we live as Christ-followers in a time that is constantly assaulting us with thoughts and ideas and values that are contrary to God's plan for us. It seems as if every week, there is a new "issue" that we talk about as a family and try to examine in light of God's Word. A commercial. A television program. A movie. A news story. Something we heard at school. A story making the rounds in social media.

It's exhausting.

But we cannot sit back and coast through Sam's final years of school. We remain ever vigilant. I'm reminded of the words of our pastor in Indiana, who himself was the father of six children. He exhorted us to "finish strong".

And so we fight the good fight for our sons and for their future.

Wow. I had not planned on talking about this today, but there it is. Confessions from this mother's heart.


All of this is not to say that Sam is a tough kid to raise. He's my joy, and I love him and I'm so proud of him. He's growing up to be a really sweet young man. And wow, is he a forward thinker! He has big plans for high school, and big plans for college, and big plans for after college. He talks of military service, or perhaps NASA. I even heard him talk about when he retires the other day. What other fifteen year old thinks that far out?

God knows the plans He has for Samuel, and I pray every day, as I do for all of my sons, that they know of the hope and future they have as children of God.


Okay. On to the card portion of this post!

Here in Michigan, we don't drink soda. We drink pop. And in my family, the guys are all about Coke over Pepsi. It's funny, because when we go to a restaurant and they order a Coke, the waitress may say "Is Pepsi alright?" My boys always answer "I'll take a Mountain Dew." ha ha ha!

So this card is for my guy, who loves to do the Dew!


{Today's Brew: Soda Pop stamps and dies (MFT), PTI inks and card stock, baker's twine}

Thanks for visiting the cafe today!

1 comment:

  1. It is a constant battle over Satan and I admire your consistency in raising your children in a Christ-centered home! The card is cute too!!

    ReplyDelete