Friday, June 5, 2009

A Fanci That Stitching Project


Two weeks ago, my husband and I had a date morning at the historic town of Zionsville, Indiana. We drank coffee, strolled the cobblestone streets, and popped into a few shops. I was delighted to find a needlearts shop called Persnickety Stitchers. Imagine my surprise when I found patterns from Fanci That, the company started by my good friend, Beth, and her mom, Carole!

This needle art project comes from the pattern Summer Tree, and it features 6 summer-themed projects. I was really drawn to this flower basket. First of all, the colors match my Longaberger pottery, as you can see in the photo. Second, the design and colors really reminded me of the artwork of the Pennsylvania Dutch. Have you ever seen a hex sign? They're done in primary colors and often have a bird and flower motif like this one. When I mentioned this to Beth, she said it's no surprise...her mom, Carole, comes from Pennsylvania, and the influence must have made it's way to this pattern that the two of them designed together.

For this project, I used a combination of DMC floss and Weeks Overdye Floss on linen. Beth gives a great tip in the instructions...if you're using overdye floss, it's a good idea to finish each stitch (making a full X) before moving onto the next one. This is due to the fact that overdyes have subtle color variations in the threads...can you see how the birds' heads look a bit darker than the bodies? That's an example.

I finished this project by adhering it to a piece of felted wool. Then I cut a piece of cork to fit snugly into the frame. I literally stapled the wool onto the cork and popped it into the picture frame. It makes it really easy to pop out one needle art project and then pop in another when the seasons change.

Make sure you stop back this weekend. I've been working on Father's Day cards, and I have a lot to show you. Grab a coffee to go and remember to visit the cafe tomorrow!

Blessings on your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment