Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I've Been Reading This Month

I've been doing a lot of reading this month. In my reading, a theme began to emerge in every book I picked up.

Conviction. Namely, the conviction of the Holy Spirit. This topic presented itself often in the study by Priscilla Shirer.


Priscilla had us digging into our very human tendency to look for idols, those things that seem innocent on the surface but can quickly take the place of God.

And then I was reading this biography on Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a man who was convicted by the Holy Spirit to confront the evil that was unfolding in his home country.


Bonhoeffer coined the term "cheap grace" to describe those individuals who want "forgiveness without repentance, absolution without confession, grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ."

I've had a crush on this dead theologian for the past year. I've been wondering "Where are the Bonhoeffer's of our day to speak this kind of truth?"

And then I read this book.


I think I found a modern day Bonhoeffer. Truly, the best book I read this year. Idleman explores the topic of being a fan of Jesus versus being a follower of Jesus.

To be honest, I think I was a fan of Jesus for most of my adult life. It wasn't until about ten years ago that I started really becoming a follower. I started making bible study a real priority in my life, and let me tell you, there is nothing like God's Word to help accomplish the work of the Holy Spirit to clean house. I started becoming really and truly convicted by the Holy Spirit on a daily basis.

In my fan days I read what I wanted, watched what I wanted, listened to what I wanted, ate what I wanted. I was in charge. Blissful ignorance! And then the Holy Spirit started convicting me. I was no longer the same.

I have a love/hate relationship with conviction. I cringe at those painful moments of conviction, but I'm also thankful that they point me to the cross. I'm trying to be more mindful of the things I do and don't do, the things I say and don't say. Not trying to be perfect, but trying to follow hard and fast after Jesus, to be "covered in the dust of the Rabbi".

 I have a long way to go.

I need something to read over the holiday season. Any recommendations?


6 comments:

  1. You are quite the reader I see! I love the sounds of these books- especially not a fan- that sounds amazing! I am a new follower and a new Crafter of Faith- looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, so nice to meet you! Please tell the ladies at scs that when I get my computer fixed I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete