Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gingerbread Men and Butlers


Sam has been reading "The Gingerbread Man" in his Kindergarten classroom this month. Our favorite version is Jan Brett's "Gingerbread Baby". Her illustrations are amazing and full of so much detail. I think her European design must appeal to my German heritage. Her book even depicts scenes from a Springerle rolling pin, and I vividly recall making Springerle cookies with my Mom and sisters when we were children.

Today's card is an homage to the holiday cookie tradition! I made this for yesterday's Sketch Challenge at SCS. The original sketch featured triangles at the top and bottom, but I replaced them with these adorable rolling pins from Gooseberry Patch!

{recipe: Sugar and Spice, Baked With Love Stamp Sets from Gooseberry Patch, Amuse gingham papers, real red and old olive cardstock, versafine onyx ink, prisma markers, oval/scallop oval/scallop edge punches}


Sam had a homework assignment this week...decorate a paper gingerbread man, and bring it back to school to display in the hallway. I took Sam shopping at Walmart for some craft supplies...glitter glue, sparkles, pipe cleaners, and other ingredients for creativity!



As we were walking through the store aisles, Sam said "I know exactly what I want my gingerbread man to look like!"

"You do?" I asked.

"I want him to look like a butler!"

Well, I thought that was a bit odd, so I questioned him.

"What does a butler look like?" I thought, hoping to get some clarification.

"He wears a special suit, and he waits on people and does stuff for them," Sam replied.

"You're right!" I said. "I want a butler, too!"


Sam spent at least an hour on this project, coloring, gluing, and glittering. Here's the finished project:


The crafting supplies are still on my kitchen table. Sam is now glittering up paper Christmas trees and ornaments. It looks like it's going to be a crafty Christmas!

1 comment: