Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sneaky Fitness




Spring's official start is right around the corner. Time to wake up out of our winter hibernation and get busy!

I readily admit that I am not a person who likes to exercise on a regular basis. My husband? He would bike every day if he could. But me? I'd rather work in the garden, or sit on the front porch rocker with a nice latte and a magazine.

When my husband decided to book our trip to Orlando back in January, I knew it was time to start upping the activity level. Disney (and all trips with my husband, in general) requires a LOT of walking. On our first day at Epcot, we logged in over thirteen miles. That's half a marathon!

Sure, I walk the dog for more than a mile every day, but in the winter on icy sidewalks that's hardly a workout. It's more of an exercise in caution and agility.


I was making a cup of coffee one day this winter, waiting for the water to heat, and waiting for the coffee to brew. Waiting. And that's when I had the thought.

"Why not exercise right here, while you wait for your coffee?"


Squats. Lunges. Leg lifts. Kicks. A few reps of each, while waiting for the coffee to finish. I did the math. Three cups of coffee a day. Ten to fifteen reps of an isolation exercise. By then end of a day, I could get thirty to fifty reps in. That's not bad.

The coffee bar is now my exercise bar. It's just a good reminder for me, and it has gotten me into the habit of sneaking in fitness wherever and whenever I can.

It's been about two months now, and I can really feel the results. Amazing.


Another way I like to sneak in some fitness time? I keep hand weights and my Simply Fit board tucked under a chair in the family room. When I might normally plop on the couch and watch television, I can now get on my board with my weights and put in a thirty minute core strengthening workout while I watch a program.

When the weather improves, I will be back outside, enjoying the garden workout and biking through town. But for now, this sneaky fitness is helping me stay motivated.

Tell me...how do you sneak in fitness time? Gym membership? At home equipment? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Blessings on your Saturday, cafe friend!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My quick fitness sneak at work, is outside my office is a warehouse and 20 steps down to a landing, then 20 steps up to the other side. Instead of walking around to the restroom, I go out the door and do the stairs twice each for the trip. 80 stairs to go to the restroom and back! Oh, and we have a fitness room in our house. Liked going to the gym, but not enough time in the day, so do it here. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I forgot to say, that I am a North 40 parker. I park as far away in a parking lot that I can. I take the extra steps. I'll admit that I do snicker sometimes as the people who are still circling for a close space (now I know some need it) and I have parked North 40 and am walking past them into the store. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your North 40 idea! I need to do this more often!

      Delete