Saturday, April 28, 2018

Cheap and Easy Botanical Art





I love Ballard Designs. They cater to folks like me who love many elements found in traditional, classic homes. And the things they offer are loverly! I have purchased draperies and light fixtures and home decor elements from them in the past several years, and they are always top notch.

But sometimes, items come with a top notch price tag.

Take, for example, the above artwork. I think botanical prints are so charming. And if they feature birds? Even better!

But those prices above? Yeah, that's for each print, sold separately.

I like them, but not enough to sell a kidney for one.

That's when I decided to create some botanical art myself.


Many years ago, I bought these sweet books from a used book sale at our local library. They are filled with the most adorable watercolors, each page sweeter than the last. I decided to cut out some favorite prints from these books, and mount and frame them for instant botanical art.

Here's what you need:
X-acto knife
Tape runner
Paper trimmer
Picture frames
Art Book



Using an X-Acto knife, I carefully cut the page out of the book.


Then, after I removed it, I trimmed the rough edge with my paper trimmer.

Next, I used a piece of card stock, cut to an 8 by 10 inch size to fit my frame. I used Vintage Cream card stock from Papertrey Ink. This will act as a mat for the print. Sure, you could get some custom mats cut to size, but that is just another added and unnecessary expense.


Turning it over, I gently applied small sections of tape to the outside edges. Then, I adhered it to the card stock mat.


Finally, I picked up some frames from Hobby Lobby. Here's a tip. If you look for frames in the art department there, they will run around $30 each. Skip that section and head back to the front of the store instead. They always have an aisle there where the frames are dirt cheap and usually 50% off list price, which made these simple black frames about $6 each.

I cleaned the glass carefully, let it dry, and popped the matted print inside.


And voila! Instant botanical art!

I have four bird prints that I am going to hang along both sides of my armoire. I really like this print of the swallows. It reminds me of the birds that frequent the marshy pond in our backyard in the summer.

The trickiest part to this project? Getting two prints on each side of the armoire, hanging in exactly the right place and exactly the right distance from each other.  Aaack! I hate that job! So much math and measuring and potential to screw it up! So instead of throwing up a bunch of nails (and nail holes when I screw up), I decided to wait and buy some Command Strips. So much easier, and if it isn't perfect? No biggie...you can adjust with no damage to the wall.

Blessings on your weekend, cafe friend!


No comments:

Post a Comment