Monday, July 22, 2019

The Moon, and other Anniversaries


July 20, 1969 was a momentous day. My father was celebrating his fortieth birthday, and the world was celebrating as man first walked on the moon.

Fifty years later, and my father is now in the Church Triumphant, along with the Apollo 11 crew.

In recent years, a little known story has emerged about that mission and the faith of astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Aldrin, who was an elder in the Presbyterian church, decided that the first meal served on the moon should be holy communion. He fought NASA hard for this, and was finally granted permission. And so, with wine and wafer and tiny chalice, Aldrin instituted communion, with Neil Armstrong observing. He read the words of John 15:5 that he had written on a small piece of paper:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

Humbling words for what must have been a humbling experience.

On the return trip to earth, Aldrin read the words from Psalm 8:3-4

"When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?"


It must have been quite a spectacular view.

This weekend, I remembered by father, and gave thanks to my heavenly Father for His goodness and faithfulness.

I found these words in Genesis yesterday:

"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease." Genesis 8:22.

What a comfort to know that God is sovereign and He is in control.

Blessings on your week, cafe friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment