Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Great Appliance Shortage of 2020



Hey everyone! Remember the Toilet Paper Shortage of Spring 2020?

There's a new shortage in town. The appliance shortage.

I'm serious. It's a thing.

When my oven died last July, you may recall that we quickly went out and ordered an entire appliance package from Kitchenaid. We knew all the appliances were old and would start breaking down one by one.

At the time, we were told they would arrive in 4-6 weeks. And then four to six weeks went by and we were told by the end of September. And then September came to an end and we were told the end of November. Now, most big box appliance centers are showing delivery dates as the end of December and into 2021.

Why the shortage?

A number of reasons.

First, when folks were quarantined, they were using appliances a lot more, causing wear and tear.

Second, home owners decided to remodel rooms while they were stuck indoors. And many were buying freezers to store food.

The demand was there. But what about the supply?

Well, when you shut down the economy and close all the factories, it turns out that production stops. Go figure! And when parts suppliers from oversees are in the same boat, then the factories do not have the items they need.

No parts, no workers, no appliances.

I've heard that some manufacturers now have a MILLION backorders.

If you were waiting for Black Friday sales to purchase a new appliance, you will sadly be out of luck.

In the meantime, we are managing to cook everything with the grill, the Crock Pot, and the stove top. Thanksgiving will be a challenge this year, and who knows if we will have an oven for holiday baking.

I am still dreaming about a kitchen remodel. I am trying to convince my husband that this delay could be just the thing we need to do the kitchen the right way: new countertops, new backsplash. The works!


I was scrolling through channels the other day when I saw a segment on Hallmark's Home and Family. They are remodeling the kitchen on their set (which is ridiculous, because the current kitchen is lovely), and they are letting viewers vote on one of three styles.

The designer was showing the styles with different appliance packages, and guess what he was highlighting? White appliances!

I quickly took a photo and sent it to my husband. He's been ribbing me for this decision not to go with stainless steel, but I knew that white would be a new trend. And really, white is not trendy, it's classic!


Last night, I wanted to make a dessert for our anniversary dinner at home. But what to make that doesn't require an oven?

I did a little research and came up with this mug cake that bakes in the microwave.

I used 1/2 cup of Devil's Food cake mix, 3 T. of milk, 2 T. vegetable oil, and a dozen chocolate chips. Mix it together well, pour into a ramekin, and bake for 1 minute 30 seconds in the microwave. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.


My husband loved it!

A little sweet that serves up in a hurry. No oven necessary.
 

4 comments:

  1. Geez, you are handling this well. I would not be happy without an oven for that long of a time. I have some family that swear by a countertop convection oven. Might be something to use in the meantime, but you may want to have once you have the new oven as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew it would be such a problem to get new appliances! I agree that you are handling the situation well. I hope you are pleasantly surprised by an early delivery! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I had to replace my oven and we thought it would be best to replace our 35 year refrigerator at the same time. Fortunately, the salesman told us not to buy the refrigerator because it may take months to get it. I only waited a month for my oven. Thank goodness for a toaster oven, microwave and crockpot. Also, who knew white would come back! I just bought stainless steel to match my microwave. Now I'm regretting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this was one of the most desired read and experience. Comparatively shopping anything is very funny event but not hassle-free rather sometimes seems very complex. I got through your sweet writing and much more pleased to find some great point to pick up to my poor knowledge. I appreciate your excellent job. Again for buying sofa or any furniture appliance repair winnipeg might be your best home furniture friend.

    ReplyDelete