Thursday, March 7, 2024

Florida, Flare Ups, and Farro Recipe

 


I'm back from our Florida getaway, where we enjoyed three full days of soaking up the sun. Cypress swamp hikes, beach walks, baseball games. Good times!

I ate ice cream every day!


I ate pizza!


I enjoyed wine with dinner!


I ate a ball park hot dog!

And then I got home, and I have been paying for my food choices ever since.

It's been a couple of days slogging through an autoimmune flare up. I can't be certain what triggered it. Possibly the extreme difference in temps and weather? Or perhaps going off my normal anti-inflammatory diet.

I'm trying to rest and take it easy on myself this week. 

Last night, I made a dinner with some leftover farro that was surprisingly good! I thought I'd share it with you here. I love farro, and when I see it on a menu in a recipe, I know that's what I will order. It's an ancient grain that's full of healthy fiber. I don't cook with it often, so I was surprised when one cup cooked made SO MUCH. Thus, the leftover creation.

Farro with Chicken Meatballs


2 cups prepared farro (I had this leftover from the night before, cooked according to package directions. It made a lot!)

Frozen chicken meatballs (half a package, so about a dozen)

Frozen sweet potatoes

2 c. Fresh spinach

1/2 c. Balsamic Dressing (I prefer Primal Kitchen, as it's made with avocado oil)

Feta crumbles

In a large pan, heat meatballs in a few tablespoons of olive oil. While that is cooking, cook sweet potatoes in microwave. When they are finished, add to meatballs. Add fresh spinach until wilted. Add farro and balsamic dressing, stirring it all together. Add more dressing if needed.

Serve with crumbled feta on top and enjoy!


Lots of good healthy foods in this dish. I'm trying to avoid processed foods, especially all of those foods that contain seed oils like sunflower oil, safflower oil, canola oil, soybean oil. Those are highly inflammatory. Just sticking with avocado oil, olive oil, and some coconut oil. Also trying to avoid too many added sugars, as they are also on the no-no list.


It was good to get away, but it's good to be home, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment