Wednesday, July 31, 2024

My Musical Summer

 


I've been on a musical journey this summer, and it's been a great ride.

One of my 2024 goals has been to learn to play my dulcimer that I've had for a dozen years. I found a fabulous instructor, and she's really inspired me to keep at it. In the first six months, I learned a lot of the basics. Now, I'm branching out and learning everything from music theory to fingering style. I'm getting more confident in my playing, and try to practice every day.



My dulcimer needed an adjustment (additional fret), and I was able to have it done here at Weed Patch Music Company during out trip to southern Indiana.


I am now in the market for my next, upgraded instrument. I think I found a company in Indiana that will help me in my pursuit. Now, I'm just saving my pennies for this big purchase.


I also visited Creation Station and spoke with the owner about his own musical journey. It is so fun to talk "shop" with other enthusiasts. I purchased a lot of books here, including several Christmas books that will help me learn tunes for the holidays.





One of my favorite parts of the morning was listening to the players in this weekly jam session. What luck! They invited me to join in, but I was not ready for that level of playing yet. One day!


I explained to Rick, the owner, that I do not have any great skill or talent, but that playing my dulcimer brings me joy.

And it does bring me joy!

When I am stuck on a writing project for work, I take a break, pick up my dulcimer from it's handy stand, and play a hymn or a tune. And after a few minutes of playing, I can feel myself getting un-stuck and I can get back to work.

If the news has me feeling fretful, I can make music and it calms me.

If I read about something disturbing that has happened in the world (and it's hard not to find it every day), my dulcimer takes me to a happy, peaceful place.

I've been thinking a lot this week about what a weird world we are living in, where truth and beauty and goodness have been perverted. 

We are told "This ugly thing here? No, you are wrong. This is what is beautiful now."

"That thing that you were taught is true? No, that's a lie. Here is MY truth."

"That act of service and love that you call good? No, that is hateful. This is what good should look like."

It is not a life-giving culture anymore, but instead it is a culture of death.

I am choosing every day to find the beautiful, to speak truth in love, to seek and do the good.

Maybe it starts with a pick in my hand and a tune in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is disturbing to watch good be called evil and evil good, especially when children are being targeted with this warped message.
    However, living in the micro, I see many making the same choices you are, and it tells me those in power are perpetrating the evil and that everyday people are rejecting that evil with the way they live.
    Music is beautiful and a gift from God. My instrument is the piano (and the pipe organ at one time). Music is a wonderful way to praise God!

    ReplyDelete