Sunday, August 4, 2024

A Weekend in Pittsburgh

 


Hello, friends! Are you embracing the summer days? We're trying!  We just got back from a three-day trip to da Burgh.


It's been five years since I last visited, and it was good to see so many of our favorite places, and a few new favorites, too.


We went to Soergel Orchards, where I picked up some apple butter and a variety of honeys.


We said hello to the goats and browsed through the gift barns.






After some shopping in the North Hills (had to visit LLBean!), we headed downtown for some sightseeing. 




We went to see the fountain and the city skyline.


They now offer floating tiki rides along the river. How fun!

The next day, we visited some of the many distinct neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. First stop, Oakmont.


Oakmont Bakery is a new favorite. The locals always spoke of it with reverence and awe, and now I can see why. Amazing!


I found this sweet bookstore in Oakmont, too!


Next, we went to the Strip district to browse through the food markets.



This flower shop and gift shop in the Strip is so lovely!





I was cuckoo for these clocks!




We thought about going to a Pirates game, but the day was hot and humid. Instead, we had a great dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Mad Mex. Yum!



It's always fun to visit our former "home towns".  I prefer these weekend trips over weeklong ventures. It's nice to get away, but it's also nice to get home.


Squeezing in the summer fun whenever we can.

2 comments:

  1. You were literally in my backyard! Especially when at Soergel's - I live just a few minutes from there. Oakmont Bakery is from where my daughter wants to get her wedding cupcakes (and maybe one or two kinds of cookies to add to the otherwise all-homemade cookie table). The Strip District is a food lover's paradise! You really hit the best parts of Pittsburgh. We love Mexican and have a favorite but we've never been to Mad Mex so you've given us something new to try in our hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you, Nicole! Did you move from your Sewickley neighborhood? My oldest once worked at Soergel's...such a fun place! I was sad to hear that Stamp Fanci closed (during Covid, I think?). We love visiting PGH!

      Delete