Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Cookies, Conversation, and Fishing



Purpose. That is one of the coolest things that God brought to my days after our move home to Michigan.

Don't get me wrong. I love my vocation of wife and mother and serving the loved ones in my household.

But I always wanted to find a better way to serve my neighbor, too.

Shortly after joining our new church, I volunteered to take part in their fledgling ministry of English language tutoring to the community. It has been a real blessing, not only to the participants, but for all of the tutors and the church members working behind the scenes.

Thus far, we've had a small group of non-English speaking adult students who have been patiently willing to learn right alongside us on this journey. A family of women from Syria, a mom and auto engineer's wife from South Korean, and a young man from Lebanon who provides much needed transportation and translation.

Some of our lessons are strictly grammar. Vocabulary, pronunciation, verb conjugation. Other lessons are cultural. And sometimes, our participants just need conversation.


This morning, I made a Lebanese/Syrian cookie to bring to class. Ghraybeh is basically a middle eastern shortbread cookie. I found a few recipes online, and through some trial and error, made it my own.

Our translator was so impressed.

"How did you learn to bake this?" he asked.

"Easy," I answered. "Pinterest!"

I love how these sweet little cookies get rolled into a fish shape and secured with a pistachio. It reminded me of our focus at church to be "fishers of men." We've been talking a lot at church these days about joining Jesus on his mission. Serving, sacrificing, loving His people. This new ministry helps me to do just that.


If you are looking for a new cookie to try with coffee, this one might just be a winner.

Ghraybeh

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 sticks (plus 2-3 Tablespoons if mix feels too dry) salted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pistachios ( I used lightly salted and roasted, and un-shelled them myself)

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, mix together butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Slowly add flour until blended. Take a heaping tablespoon of dough and form a five inch long log, then cross ends into a fish shape and place on a non-greased cookie sheet. Add a pistachio where the "tail" meets. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, until just golden. Allow to cool on baking sheet for two minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy! (makes about two dozen)


"And Jesus said to Simon, 'Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.' And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him. " Luke 5:10-11

1 comment:

  1. Making this cookie was a sweet, kind act, Mary! I'm on a month RV trip now and will refer back to this post when home again near more cooking materials and a better oven.

    ReplyDelete