Monday, July 23, 2018

Inspiring Landscape


Sometimes, a change of scenery can really inspire me to get out my watercolors and try to capture the moment.


I'm so glad I brought my watercolors with me on our trip up north.


I did a little rough sketching with pencil and Sharpie.


Then, I got to work mixing colors.


Layer after layer, until the scene starts to take shape.


And knowing when to say "That's it. Done!"


Sometimes, it helps to capture the moment in a photograph and use it as my guide.



I've had a lot of fun dabbling in watercolor this year. It has been on my "New Years Resolution" list for many a consecutive year now. Sometimes, they best way to start a thing is to just do it. Don't wait for the class. Don't wait for the perfect moment. Just jump in with both feet and give it a try.


We watched a sunset on Lake Michigan last week. And when I walked up the path behind me, I encountered this gentleman. Can you see him over my shoulder? He had set up his easel and was painting the beach scene " En Plein Air". It was a beautiful scene done in oils with such lovely shades of blue and lavender. Impressive...and inspiring.

Hope you find lots of inspiration this week! Blessings!


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work. You definitely have a talent for watercolours.
    Buffy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Buffy! I'm learning as I go.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy seeing your artistic interests, Mary! Stitching, stamping, decorating, garden design, cooking, journaling, writing and now these pretty water color sketches! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Vikki! You're such a sweetheart!

      Delete