Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Good Day For Soup...and Projects!


Don't you love Saturdays? A great day for getting things done!

Honestly, we have been gone every weekend for the month of October. I finally had to put my foot down and say "Enough! We have stuff that needs to get done at home!"

Case in point: Our messy garage was out of control!

When we downsized to the cottage, we also downsized the square footage in our garage. Two mid-size SUVs, some bikes, garbage and recycling containers, garden and sports equipment. There was barely enough room to park our cars! In the Midwestern winters, that becomes a necessity!

So when my husband asked what I wanted to get accomplished this weekend, I knew the answer: Let's organize the garage!


We took some measurements, wrote out a list, and went shopping at our local Ace hardware. We love our Ace in Saline! Always well stocked, and well staffed, too. Everyone is so helpful and friendly.

I saw the weekly ad that showed garage shelving on  sale, and I knew that would go a long way in helping us organize. We bought two units, and split them between three spaces. Now everything is clean, off the floor, and easily accessible.


And look! Jemma approves!

Another thing that had to be done: this ginormous shop vac took up way too much valuable real estate. We are giving this one a new home.


And look! We found a nice small wet/dry vac that also functions as a blower. Perfect! I can finally get the porch and deck blown clean!


The bike got stored for the season, too.


While Ed finished the clean up, I went indoors and made a hearty soup for a cold autumn day. White Chicken Chili! I had some leftover rotisserie chicken that made this soup fast and easy and oh so yummy!


I discovered Bush's White Chili Beans this week. So good! This soup was mild, but if you want to add some kick, I would suggest the addition of chopped green chilies. You can also use diced tomatoes with green chilies in the can. I didn't have any on hand, so I added the red pepper flakes and a bit more cumin.

Here's my recipe!

White Chicken Chili

2-3 T.olive oil
1 med. onion diced
2 ribs celery diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup corn
2 c. cooked rotisserie chicken breast, chopped and shredded
2 cans Bush's chili beans
2-3 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper
cumin to taste
red pepper flakes to taste

Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes and corn, then chicken. Next, add beans, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then simmer low for about thirty minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek non-fat plain yogurt and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Enjoy!


Blessings on your soup season, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment