Thursday, December 13, 2018

Handmade Cards and Store-Bought, Too!


Last Christmas, I came to the realization that I really don't enjoy making Christmas cards. I might like making a few, but making enough to send to all the relatives and friends on the list? No thank you.

So I sold off a LOT of my Christmas stamp sets in an effort to simplify.

This year, during a great after-season sale, I found a Christmas card that I loved. I bought a box, and would have bought more, but this was all they had in stock at Hallmark. It has the nicest sentiment inside, and a cute matching envelope, too.

But some of my crafty friends still expect a handmade card. So I decided to make a few this week.


I purchased this used/new-to-me stamp set from Neat and Tangled a few months back. It has been on my wish list for a while. I love the simplicity. It has the look of a linocut, which I love, and can be stamped in one solid color, or multiple colors.


I created a wintry night scene by stamping the image and sentiment on the bottom in white, topping off the panel with a stitched hillside, and then layering it on top of a dark starry snowy sky.


I thought this sentiment from PTI Year of Psalms went well with the snowy scene.


{Today's Brew: Winter Wishes stamp set (Neat and Tangled stamps), Lawn Fawn snowy backdrop die, Lawn Fawn stitched hillside die, PTI Year of Psalms sentiment stamp, PTI inks and card stock, SU silver twine}

I've pared down my Christmas card list this year. In many ways, I've been paring down the non-essentials of the season, but find that I am enjoying it more.

Less shopping and complicated gifting. More time spent with family and friends.

I'm slowing down and meditating on the Advent season before rushing in to Christmas. Advent is a time of hopeful anticipation, and I am enjoying this waiting period rather than stressing out about what needs to be done.

All is calm, all is bright!

Blessings, cafe friends!


1 comment:

  1. The N&T stamp has long been on my radar! I also love its folk style and simple design. I usually make 2-4 cards of the same designs and ultimately around 45 or so which is 20 less than a few years back. I ration out my homemade cards to those who appreciate the effort and sometimes I regard it as my gift for the year!

    ReplyDelete