Wednesday, December 12, 2018

An Early Christmas Present


Last month, my husband and I were discussing Christmas gifts for each other. Did we really need another sweater? A piece of jewelry? A tie? Probably not. But you know what we really needed? Night stands for our bedroom.

Before our last move, when we had our ginormous garage sale, I sold off the pressed wood round side tables with their tablecloths that we'd been using for night stands for years. I just could not see moving those ugly things one more time, so I sold them.

In the meantime, we moved to our new house and didn't have night stands. To make do, I'd propped a vintage magazine rack (roadside find) and an antique humidor on both sides of the bed, and we made do. And there they sat for over a year, barely functioning.

On our trip to Boston last fall, we visited a Macy's with a furniture department, and we were able to check out the furniture in person that I'd been admiring online. So last month, during a great sale, we ordered two night stands.


These have been wonderful! I love the big size, with ample room for a lamp, a book, and a cup of tea. A felt-lined drawer to hide tissues or hand creams or pens, and a shelf below for books or magazines.


Sometimes, it's the little things that we appreciate even more than the big things.



I think that eventually, we may purchase the matching chest of drawers and dresser, too. I don't think I need the headboard because I still like the metal wrought iron headboard we found on Craigslist. The room looks better when it's not all matchy matchy.

The coziness of the quilt, the soothing paint color, my bedtime tea and a good book...everything I need to cuddle in before blissful slumber.


No comments:

Post a Comment