Thursday, February 7, 2019

Bible Journal: Grace and Truth


In 2018, I chose a verse from John 1 to meditate on throughout the year.

"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

Truth. That was my word for 2018. And I sought after truth in all the things I saw, all the things I read, all the things I said and did.


The law: it shows my sin and everywhere that I fall short. It shows my desperate need for a savior.

The Gospel of Grace: the unearned and undeserved gift of redemption that I receive from Christ crucified for my sins.


And where or where is truth found? I think that's the question that our society struggles with every day.

Maybe you've heard this one before: "Your truth is not necessarily the same as another person's truth. Everyone's truth is different based on their own experiences."

Yep, that's the motto of the fastest growing religion in our culture today: the religion of moral relativism that firmly believes in a different trinity, the unholy trinity of me, myself and I. I decide what is true. I decide what is good. I am, therefore, my own god.


But where is real, absolute truth found? It is found right here, in God's Word. Truth is found only in the pages of holy scripture. Do I like all the truth? No! It oftentimes makes me look bad, really really bad. It exposes my sinful, selfish nature. It shows me that it's not all about me, about how I feel, about my experience and "takeaway". Those things are highly unreliable and cannot be trusted.

So what truth can I trust? I can trust in the love of God. I can trust in His word that points me to the cross. I can trust in the perfect life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. I can trust that the Holy Spirit sanctifies me and keeps me in the faith.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Praise Him all creatures here below. Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sweet Mary! Yesterday worked in my journaling Bible in Proverbs. "A house is built by wisdom." Pr 24:3 and all wisdom comes through Him.

    ReplyDelete