Sunday, May 26, 2019

Easy Summer Dump Cake! (And accidentally vegan!)


My sister, Jenny, uses the term "accidentally vegan" to describe the products that, surprisingly, contain no eggs or dairy. Mind you, accidentally vegan does not equate to healthy. Oreos, for example, are accidentally vegan.

I have a hard time finding dessert recipes that are vegan and a tasty option for the rest of us.

But this weekend, I stumbled upon a recipe that, with a minor tweak, was vegan AND yummy, too!

I found this recipe on Pinterest for easy cherry pineapple dump cake here:

https://temeculablogs.com/cherry-pineapple-dump-cake-recipe/

No egg? Great! But wait. Half a stick of melted butter. Hmmm. Can't I just substitute a half a cup of coconut oil for the butter? It was worth a shot. I did it, and it was a-mazing!


Here's my version of the recipe:

Easy Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake

1 20 oz. can cherry pie filling
1 box Duncan Hines Pineapple Supreme cake mix (can also substitute a yellow cake mix)
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 350. In a 9 by 13 inch pan (not greased), spread the cherry pie filling evenly. Top with dry cake mix, covering the pie filling. Then, spread crushed pineapple and syrup (don't drain) over cake mix. Top with coconut and pecans. Drizzle melted coconut oil over the top. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes (it may take less time, depending on your pan. My Longaberger pottery takes a bit longer, so that's why I kept it in for 50 minutes), until top is golden and center looks set. It will be a bit soft and jiggly. That's okay. Allow to cool. Serve slightly warm (oh so good!) and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra special a la mode-iness!



I love a fast and easy summer dessert that is perfect for family gatherings. And if it contains fruit and can be served with ice cream? Bonus! Mind you, this is not an every day Noom healthy diet sort of food. Typically, I only make dessert if I can share it with a big group. Otherwise, the leftovers will call my name, as if to say "Eat me! Eat me!" Wow, desserts can be so bossy.

We served this at our impromptu family gathering last night, and it was a hit.

Blessings on your holiday weekend, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment