Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Simplified Card, and a Simplified System


It's Saturday. Time for a simple card. I made this one for the Clean and Simple challenge at SCS to incorporate "sunset" on a card. I used Distress Oxides for this blended sunset-colored background.


When I was done blending, I sprayed it with Glimmer Mist to give it a little extra oomph. When I stamped the ribbon, I didn't like the color, so I stamped it on another piece of card stock and fussy cut it, then glued in place.

Like I said, simple.

And can we talk about that ribbon? When I first saw the stamp set Wishing You Well from Stampin' Up, I was smitten with that ribbon! It's a simple, lovely set that makes some fast and easy cards, too.


And speaking of simple, I finally came up with a system for organizing the papers and piles that had been accumulating in places I did not want them...namely, the kitchen island and the table. That's one of the problems with an open concept living area. Without defined spaces and walls, just a small amount of mess in one spot can make the whole area look messy.

My desk has always had this hanging file drawer, which was handy. But after the move two years ago, I could not find the horizontal metal bars from which the files hang. So yesterday, with Luke's help, I shined a light into the very back of the desk and drawer, and lo and behold, I found the bars! Yay!

I spent the entire afternoon cleaning up my files, shredding papers, sorting and organizing. Now my desk is my command center, with spots for the papers that used to end up in a jumbled pile in the kitchen somewhere.



I usually put my mail in the wall organizer on the left, and Ed's mail in the wall organizer on the right. My planner now stays at my desk, where I need it the most.


And on the floor, to the right of my desk, I found a nice portable file system for storing my clippings from published stories, along with pay stubs and other papers related to writing.

It only took me two years, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of this "downsizing".

Will the desk top always look this neat? Probably not. But the office is tucked away, and if I need to, I can close the doors and get to it later.

Simple is good.

Blessings, cafe friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment